You and your partner go out to dinner. The night starts off great – you talk a bit about what happened at work today, you discuss your kids or pets for a minute, maybe you mention a story one of your mutual friends told you. And then, right when the waiter has cleared away your appetizer, your conversation lulls and eventually completely stops. Has this ever happened to you?
It’s nothing to be ashamed or worried about – if you get the chance to spend a lot of time with your significant other, you probably also have a lot of time to talk about everything under the sun. You’re bound to run out of conversation topics occasionally!
Here are 10 suggestions to spark conversations in those moments. We’ve written them here in question format, but you could definitely bring them up in a less formal manner – for instance, for the first one, you could just say something like “You know, if I could swap places with anyone in the world, I think it would be a schoolteacher in Australia. What about you?”
- If you could swap places with anyone in the world for a day, who would you swap with? What would you do?
- If you had been given the chance to choose your name at age 7, what would you have chosen? What would you have chosen in college? What would you choose now? Why?
- What movie (or book or TV show) was about something completely different than you expected? What did you expect it to be about?
- If you could relive any experience for the first time, what would it be?
- If you could learn any skill in the world, what would it be? Bonus points: remember their answer and give them lessons in that skill as a future gift – or start looking up places right away and sign up together!
- Has anything paranormal (or paranormal-seeming) ever happened to you? What did you think? How did you react?
- What’s your earliest memory?
- What traditions did you have growing up that you want to continue with your family? Are there any ones you want to stop, or new ones you want to create?
- What season is your favorite? Why?
- If you could have a meal created by one celebrity chef, who would it be? What do you think they’d put on the menu?
Of course, a new and exciting date night activity can also help make sure you don’t run out of things to talk about. Not sure what to do with your partner? We’ve got you covered!